BEFORE YOU NOMINATE:
• Is the book “in the margins” due to being self, independently or small press published?
• Is the voice authentic? Unique? Saying something or telling a story “in the margins”?
• Is there action and/or does the text move along quickly?
• Have you observed teens “in the margins” picking the book up and reading it? Do you have positive teen feedback?
• Is the cover eye catching and gritty with appeal to teen reluctant readers “in the margins”?
• Is the text easy and comfortable to read and on the larger size?
• If the book is more than 250 pages does it fit so many of our priorities that it should be considered?
• If the book is from a major publisher, is an award winner, starred review or known author is it so authentic and accurate that it needs to be included on our list?
• Is the book accurately depicting those “in the margins” of society?
Note: it is expected that books making our list may not be edited well and may not be up to standard major publishing fare, due to our primary considerations above.
Finally, is the pub date in our time frame within the correct perimeters? June previous year – December the next year, as follows:
- 2014 award nominee pub date = June 2012 – December 2013
- 2015 award nominee pub date = June 2013 – December 2014
- 2016 award nominee pub date = June 2014 – December 2015
- 2017 award nominee pub date = June 2015 – December 2016
- 2018 award nominee pub date = June 2016 – December 2017
- …and so on..
Once you have made sure all priorities for submitting a title are met, click here to go to the online nomination form.