In the Margins strives to find the best books for teens living in poverty, on the streets, in custody – or a cycle of all three!
Committee Membership and Requirements:
7 to 9 member committee (including Chair and Administrative Assistant)
- one – three year full year commitment, Timeline for current year: Jan 2016- Jan 2017
- research, request and nominate titles, with an emphasis on ones that are self-published, independently published or published by small presses
- read for special content for detention facilities
- read all nominated titles
- work with or do outreach to youth in custody and/or from street culture and get feedback from at least 3-10 teens on each title
- actively participate in email and wiki discussions
- meet all posted deadlines
- meet 6 times a year via video conferencing
Our Nomination Process:
- For new committee members, before a book can be nominated (or removed from consideration for our list), get a second opinion about if the book fits our charge (or does not). We don’t want to nominate titles that aren’t in the running as everyone has to read every title. It’s up to all of us to nominate wisely, and get a second opinion if needed.
- Each committee member reads each nominated book and solicits youth feedback.
- Each book is discussed and voted onto the official list.
COMMITTEE REQUIREMENTS & APPLICATION
The committee application process is a 3-step process:
- Please fill out the Official Online Committee Membership Application, if you are interested in being a part of this committee.
- In addition, please address the following questions offline and submit your response to committee member, Sabrina Carnesi, who is currently processing applications for the committee
ONLINE BOOK SUBMISSIONS:
There are three simple steps to complete your online entry:
- Fill out and submit the Online Entry Form. Note: Shortly after you submit your online entry, we will send you a confirmation email. To ensure that you receive the email, please add us to your address book. To complete the online entry process, ensure that you also complete the following step:
- With approval from the committee chair, please mail a copy of the of your book to each of the committee members via the addresses provided no later than February 12, 2016 (all books must be received by February 12, 2016).
When mailing in copies of your books, please be sure to include the correct postage on the package. Incorrect postage could result in your package being returned to you resulting in delayed processing time and possibly missing the entry deadline date.